Sunday 13 December 2015

"The Meditative State"?

When I told a yoga instructor that thoughts arise while I meditate, she replied, "You are not getting into the meditative state." So -

(i) Is there a single "meditative state"?
(ii) Does everyone who meditates aim to get into that "state"?

The answer to (ii) is definitely no. I have never practiced the Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation but I understand that practitioners, using a mantra, get into a peaceful inner state. However, zazen, "just sitting" meditation:

is awareness of natural mental states;
is not no thoughts arising;
thus, incorporates thoughts arising;
can be unpeaceful. 

Therefore, the arising of thoughts is not a failure to meditate. Failure occurs neither when a thought arises nor when it continues naturally but only when it becomes deliberate. A monk said, "There will always be natural thoughts but don't add to them."

It follows that, as I had been told:

when I thought that I was failing to meditate, I was in fact meditating;
much meditation is not what we think of as meditation;
we learn from the thoughts that arise;
when we return our attention to the present moment, that moment includes not only the wall that we see and the cushion that we feel but whatever thought has arisen.

No comments:

Post a Comment